I've received a citation that I disagree with. What should I do?

It’s important to understand that once an officer has prepared a citation, it cannot be voided. Citations are created by in-car computers that are directly linked to the Department of Transportation, and once created cannot be taken back. It’s important to refrain from becoming argumentative, disorderly or abusive. If you believe that you have been unfairly cited, DO NOT make this argument on the side of the road.

Your best option is to avail yourself of your rights in the courtroom. The court date and time is listed on the citation. You have the option to plead guilty, no contest, or not guilty. You may also speak with the Village Prosecutor prior to rendering a plea. A not guilty plea will result in a subsequent trial. Once the citation is issued, all questions pertaining to court proceedings should be directed to the Village Clerk of Courts at 608-838-3764.

Generally, the Chief of Police will not void a citation; this must be done by the Village Prosecutor. In the instance that your complaint is more so regarding the conduct of an officer, or you believe an officer has in some way violated a Department policy, these would be appropriate situations in which to contact a police supervisor.

The McFarland Police Department does have a Citizen Complaint policy and procedure (PDF). To learn more about this process please visit the Complaints and Feedback page.

Show All Answers

1. How do I file a complaint against an Officer?
2. How do I obtain a copy of a police report or other record?
3. I need to have my fingerprints taken. Will McFarland Police Department do this for me?
4. I'm being pulled over, but I have legitimate reason to believe that this may not be a real police officer. What should I do?
5. I've received a citation that I disagree with. What should I do?
6. Where can I find information pertaining to Wisconsin landlord and tenant rights and responsibilities?
7. What does the Thin Blue Line mean to the McFarland Police Department?