Building & Remodeling
Building permits are required for any new residential or commercial building construction, any additions or changes to the exterior of your building or property, and any additions or changes to the interior of your building.
- Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Building Inspector hours are by appointment only.
- There is also a drop box in the front parking lot of the Municipal Center which is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We accept permits and payments via the drop box.
A general permit applies to remodeling, decks, driveways, fences, signs, etc., not new construction.
Print and fill out the Village of McFarland's Building Permit Application (PDF). Copies of the application are also available for pickup in the vestibule of the McFarland Municipal Center, which is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Requirements for the general permit:
- Everything highlighted in yellow within the application must be completed.
- Drawings with layout and dimensions for an addition, alteration, basement completion, or the like.
- Driveway, fences, decks, sheds, any outside site proposed work also require a site plan with measurements and locations of the proposed changes/additions.
Submitting a general building permit application:
- Application must be submitted with a minimum of 3 to 5 business days prior to your anticipated start date.
- After approval and issued, you will need to pick up and pay for your permit.
- How to make a payment:
- Correct cash amount
- Check or money order made out to "Village of McFarland"
- Credit card (fees apply)
- Where to make a payment:
- McFarland Municipal Center, 5915 Milwaukee Street
- 24-hour drop box located in the front parking lot of the Municipal Center
- By mail: P.O. Box 110, McFarland, WI 53558
- Sorry, we are unable to take online payments
- Starting work prior to having your permit picked up and paid for can result in work stoppage and fines.
First, new permit applications should be submitted electronically to the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services (WIDSPS) first. Not filing your permit electronically will add additional time and fees to your permit.
Second, a copy of the submitted permit to WIDSPS, as well as all the below paperwork should then be submitted to the McFarland Community & Economic Development Department. This must be completed a minimum of 2 weeks prior to anticipated start date. Incomplete applications can delay the permit process. A permit is not considered issued until picked up and paid for. Starting work without an approved permit can cause the work to be stopped and fees doubled.
The following is needed to complete your new construction building permit application after completion of your online WIDSPS form:
- Two sets of plans, 1 signed by the developer if required by restrictive covenants
- Two copies of site plans
- A completed Village of McFarland Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Every field highlighted in yellow is required for completion
- Energy worksheet
- Erosion control plan (PDF)
After your permit is reviewed and approved:
A check or cash must be paid for permit fees. Please make checks out to "Village of McFarland." Sorry, we do not accept credit cards for new construction permits.